Nurses are in a unique position to offer private care services in the community. Not only do nurses have the training, and understand their client's mental and physical health, they also have the most precious of commodities, trust.
We have been franchising our home care business in Australia since November 2015 and it has been surprising as to the number of nurses who have applied. What is interesting is that most are already running their own businesses allied to the health care industry. Examples are; nursing and care agencies, accreditation consultants, recruitment agents, community nurses offering skilled nursing services from IV therapy to incontinence care. In all cases they have contacted Right at Home because they want to grow their businesses by adding new services using the high level of training and support we offer.
The Australian population is ageing as a result of increasing life expectancy and sustained low fertility following the post-war baby boom. There are 3.5 million people or +-14% of total population, over 65 in Australia. By 2056, 25% of the population will be over 65. The ageing population will not only drive the need for basic domestic care services but also the need for high care and nursing services. With the government drive to help facilitate people to stay at home for as long as possible – most of these services will need to be delivered in the home.
A major shift in workplace dynamics is underway in Australian health care. More nurses are seeking opportunities in the private sector where they can use their skills to provide an excellent service while at the same time building a capital base for their families. A nurse in the private sector can grow his or her businesses in different ways one of which is in home care.
Home Care is an example of a synergistic diversification. What's more, home care meets an important need for older Australians in the community. Nurses have the ability to build a close relationship with their clients and their clients' families. The major advantage of working in a smaller privately owned business is autonomy. Nurses who work for themselves say they tend to have more control over the way clients are managed and the way they practice. Home care services can be part of this service mix.
Owning a home care business, with strong operational synergies, may be part of the answer to increasing nursing income.
Smaller nursing businesses can build capacity to provide health care services to people in residential aged care facilities and to those staying at home. By developing a new care service, nurses can specialise in providing services to older people, to work in a new model of service provision.
A company like Right at Home can provide a nurse franchise owner a range of benefits:
- Favourable Demographics and Trends – An aging population, shorter hospital stays and a preference for aging at home are fuelling the demand for in-home senior services.
- Referrals - All businesses need referral services - no more so than health care and home care. A source of referrals is the greatest opportunity for a nurse owning a home care franchise.
- Appropriate use of Technology – Care can't be provided over the Internet and it can't be outsourced overseas. Technology certainly plays a role in our business, but care has to be provided by compassionate carers – actual people!
- Government Policy Changes – The Australian government has been moving services towards greater consumer choice and higher levels of service. The government's service principles are based on the concept of Consumer Directed Care (CDC). This is putting clients in the driver's seat in making choices about the types of care and services that they wish to access. Many of the government Home Care packages are provided on a Consumer Directed Care basis that can be "directed" by clients to companies like Right at Home.
- Repeat Business – Clients don't typically hire us for just one day. They hire us to fulfil a family need on an on-going basis. The case may only last a few weeks or it may last for years. Each client represents a recurring revenue stream.
- Flexibility to add Nursing Care – Right at Home is one of the few home care companies that offer skilled nursing services. This gives nurse practices access to IV Therapy, wound dressings and palliative care at home.
- National and Regional Contracts – Right at Home have and continue to negotiate service agreements with national and regional players for outsourced care services.
- Our international connection – Right at Home is a global business that means that on-going R&D and service development is for the benefit of all countries. The global experience gives Right at Home access to huge research resources.
Right at Home Australia provides a significant opportunity for nurses in the community to grow their businesses.
If you are a nurse, a health care administrator, or you have a friend who sounds like the right fit, give us a call on 1300 363 802 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A Right at Home franchise could change your life!
Keep up to date with COVID 19 information on the following links:
Founded in 1995, Right at Home offers in-home companionship and personal care, and assistance to seniors (elderly and aged care), and any adult who needs our care at home including adults living with a disability who want to continue to live independently or age in their home. Right at Home is your local expert for issues related to caring for your loved ones and is dedicated to keeping you informed about home care. With no admin or subscription fees Right at Home allows you to get more care from your plan, package or budget.
Right at Home is a 'My Aged Care' government approved, home care provider for levels 1 – 4 and offers flexible in-home care services such as nursing care, after hospital care, post-operative care, respite care, dementia and Alzheimer's care. Right at Home also offers support and assistance with daily living and personal care such as grooming, hygiene, transport, shopping, meal prep, domestic services and social support, so your loved one can enjoy a more independent, vibrant life. Our nurses and caregivers are screened, highly trained, and insured prior to entering your home so you can trust us with the caregiving while you focus on your loved one.
To find out more, please give us a call on 1300 363 802 or visit our website.
Right at Home Offices in Australia: Sydney Lower North Shore; Sydney Upper North Shore; Sydney Central and Eastern Suburbs; Sydney Northern Beaches; Sydney North West; Sydney The Hills; Padstow St George; Macarthur Penrith; Newcastle; Hunter & Port Stephens; Southern NSW; Toowoomba- Darling Downs; Sunshine Coast and Gympie; Mackay; Central Queensland; Townsville; Far North Queensland; Gold Coast South; Gold Coast North; Northern Rivers; Brisbane Bayside; Brisbane South; Brisbane North; Brisbane West; Perth Midland; Perth Northern Suburbs; Perth West Coast: Kalgoorlie Wheatbelt; Moreton Bay Region; Sydney Inner West;