If you plan to bring an elderly loved one with you when traveling, you will want to be prepared. The challenges of senior travel can complicate your trip and be a source of serious stress. What if your loved one has an emergency while traveling? Here are some things to consider while planning your trip from Right at Home:
- Talk to your loved one's doctor about your travel plans. A doctor familiar with your loved one's health and conditions can help you make arrangements for your loved one's special needs and ensure that your loved one's health will not be compromised by the trip.
- Familiarise yourself with your loved one's insurance policy, especially the emergency information and what the policy says constitutes an emergency. Bring a copy of these pages with you for reference on your trip, just in case.
- Carry a list of medicines your loved one is on and any other critical medical information.
- Always carry medications with you at all times — never pack them in a bag you are checking or in a carry-on bag that is being stored separately during a flight.
- Request a wheelchair from your airline or travel agent, and be sure this is noted on your ticket. This will make getting around airports quicker, safer and easier for everyone involved.
- If your loved one has a heart condition, confirm with your airline that there is a defibrillator on the plane.
- If traveling abroad, bring a copy of the Consular Information Sheet for the country you are visiting. This sheet has important country-specific travel information, such as location of the embassy, security information and health and medical information.
- If on a cruise, confirm with the cruise line that there will be an emergency doctor on board.
By planning ahead and being prepared for emergencies, you can ensure that everyone has an enjoyable time on your trip.
Right at Home Australia is your local expert for emotional, physical and financial issues related to caring for your loved one, and we're dedicated to keeping you informed. Right at Home Australia offers in-home companionship and personal care and assistance so your loved one can continue living independently and enjoying a vibrant life. Our caregivers are screened, trained and insured prior to entering your home, so you can trust us with the caregiving and focus on the love.