It can often be hard to tell when aging is affecting a family member. This generation of seniors are unlikely to ask for help, or they will ask for help only when things are desperate. At Right at Home we describe the current generation as Proud, Private and Particular. They are used to fending for themselves, they are self-reliant and independent. Being able to read the warning signs that help is needed is, therefore, extremely important. Small things can add up to a larger challenge incredibly fast. If you notice certain changes in your loved one, it might be time to seek outside help:
- Changes in relationships with family and friends.
- Withdrawal from social interactions.
- Unusual behavior, such as increased agitation, speaking loudly or little talking at all.
- Neglecting personal care, such as hygiene or nutrition.
- Signs of forgetfulness, such as piles of unopened mail, unwashed laundry and scorched or dirty cookware.
- Mismanagement of finances, such as unpaid bills or unusual purchases.
Read more at 20 Warning Signs that your parent needs help at home.